Before you look at cars for sale, it can be helpful to do a little research and planning to ensure you get a great vehicle at an affordable price. Here are nine steps to make the process easier:
- What do you require from a car? Consider driving conditions, passengers, fuel economy, etc.
- What is your budget? Will you finance or pay in cash?
- Will you lease or buy?
- Don’t have a specific make and model set in stone. You will likely spend more money if you do. Look at other autos in the same class. You will usually get the same features you love, but you will often save a lot.
- Compare ownership costs. An expensive vehicle may cost less to maintain than a cheaper model that costs less at the outset.
- Locate vehicles for sale by conducting an online search first. This can save you time and money.
- When you find one or two models that may work for you, visit the dealers and test drive the cars. Try to drive in a variety of road and weather conditions, if possible, to see how they handle in different situations. While you should test the stereo system, drive with it off so you can hear engine sounds.
- Select “the one.” If you are unsure, walk away and think about it for a while. Wise decisions usually take longer to make.
- Sign your contract. Read the fine print carefully. Make sure that you understand all the text in the agreement. Ask questions if anything is unclear.